Saturday, June 18, 2011

Kemp's Ridley Sea Turtle Release

Here is a composite from this morning's Kemps Ridley turtle release. Corpus Christi / Padre Island is one of two places in the United States that the public can view these releases. I, personally, think it is a blessing to be living close to the National Seashore. The Kemps Ridley turtle is the most endangered sea turtle in the world. Of those turtles released here that survive, many come back to the island 15 years later to lay their eggs. Last year I began a painting to represent the National Seashore of the turtle release, but the day I went out there it was drizzling, no sun... no shadows, and tons of seaweed on the beach. I just wasn't happy with the way the painting was going. I'm so glad I got better reference photos today. After I heal from carpal tunnel surgery, I'll be starting this painting over again. 

No comments:

Post a Comment